A Delicious and Easy Fish Curry in Just 30 Minutes
Whip up this quick fish curry in under 30 minutes for an easy mid-week meal. The bold curry flavours, combined with the creaminess of coconut milk, are bound to win over even the most skeptical fish eaters.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 with rice
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons freshly grated ginger about a 5cm piece
- 2 teaspoons medium curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 10 - 15 fresh curry leaves
- 400 ml (13 ozs) coconut milk
- 2 medium tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 600 g (21 oz) firm white fish cut into 3cm chunks
- 20 g (1 cup) chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1/2 lime juiced
Melt the coconut oil in a medium saucepan.
Saute the onion for about 5 minutes over a medium heat until translucent and just starting to brown.
Add the garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring gently for 1 minute.
Add the curry powder, turmeric and curry leaves, and cook, stirring for a further minute until the mixture is fragrant.
Slowly stir in the coconut milk, scraping up the spices and onion from the bottom of the saucepan. Bring the pan to a gentle simmer.
Add the chopped tomato, and continue to simmer for about 5 minutes or until the tomato begins to soften.
Add the fish and the salt to the sauce, and gently poach for about 6 - 8 minutes, or until the fish is cooked.
Gently stir in the coriander and lime juice.
- If your curry powder contains a lot of turmeric you may wish to decrease or omit the additional teaspoon of turmeric in the recipe.
- Use a good quality coconut milk to ensure a creamy fish curry, or add a little coconut cream in place of some of the coconut milk,
- This curry can be prepared in advance. I recommend you make the sauce ahead, then slip the chunks of fish into the sauce to gently poach just prior to serving.
Calories: 428kcal | Carbohydrates: 11.2g | Protein: 33.5g | Fat: 30.1g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 98.7mg | Sugar: 3.2g | Vitamin A: 5% | Vitamin C: 27%