Don’t have time to make a green smoothie? Keep a stack of these Green Smoothie Popsicles in the freezer for snacking on the go, and get a good dose of fruits and vegetables at the same time.
Total Time Investment: 10 Minutes + 6 Hours Freezing
I originally planned these green smoothie popsicles as an easy breakfast for The Princess to eat on the way to rowing. As rowing starts very early in the morning, she tends to eat breakfast in the car on the way there so as to maximise her sleeping time.
Despite my efforts, apparently smoothie popsicles (or any popsicle for that matter) are not breakfast food. Even when it is 25C at 5.30am. So these are eaten when she gets home from school instead, which is completely fine by me. The protein rich popsicle keeps her going until dinner, and she gets an additional serve of vegetables without even realising it.
Don’t have time to make a green #smoothie? Keep a stack of these super easy #dairyfree, #glutenfree Green Smoothie #Popsicles in the #freezer for snacking on the go. #breakfast #snacks #kids Click To Tweet
My initial attempts when developing this recipe were not encouraging. The Princess, ever ready with constructive criticism, told me they tasted like grass. Well, at least she’s honest I suppose. Mr Grumpy ate the grass flavoured smoothie popsicles with little complaint, whilst The Princess devoured these pineapple flavoured ones instead. I consider that a win.
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Ingredient Substitutions for Green Smoothie Popsicles
- Try other baby greens in place of the spinach. Baby kale, watercress or even lettuce would work in place of the spinach.
- Replacing the cottage cheese with silken tofu will make the smoothie popsicles vegan. Silken tofu will blend better in the smoothie mixture than a firm tofu.
- Whilst the coconut milk works well with the fruits in these smoothie popsicles, any non-dairy milk will can be used instead. Almond milk, cashew milk or even rice milk would all be delicious.
Tips and Tricks For Delicious Green Smoothie Popsicles
The pineapple in these smoothie popsicles provides enough sweetness for us. However, if you have a sweet tooth I would recommend you taste the mixture before freezing it. Freezing dulls the flavour, so if the mixture is not sweet enough, either blitz in some more more pineapple, or add a dash of coconut sugar or maple syrup before freezing.
Smoothie popsicles will last for over a week in the freezer, and even longer if you wrap the popsicles in plastic wrap or store them inonce frozen. So make up a large batch in advance and store them in the freezer until required.
I use a commercial homemade methods first.to make these smoothie popsicles as I find this produces the best shape for portable popsicles. If you are unsure whether popsicles are for you, and don’t want to invest in a popsicle mould just yet, try one of these
You do need a good blender for these smoothie popsicles. There is no way around that. A blender, or food processor or stick blender at a pinch, will give you the smooth texture you need for these popsicles. If you don’t have a blender, make my spiced plum and yoghurt popsicles instead.
Made this recipe? Tell me how it went in the comments below.
And if you loved it, please don’t forget to rate it.
Healthy Green Smoothie Popsicles
- 35 g (1/ 4 cup) cashews
- 1 kiwi fruit peeled & roughly chopped
- 170 g (1 cup) chopped pineapple
- 65 g (2 cups) spinach
- 20 g (1 cup) mint leaves
- 75 g (1/2 cup) cottage cheese
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) coconut milk
- 1 lemon juice only
- 1 lime juice only
- Coconut or maple syrup optional
You will also need 8 popsicle moulds - either commercial or homemade.
- Cover the cashews with boiling water and set aside for 5 minutes whilst you assemble the remainder of the ingredients.^
- Drain the water from the cashews.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender (or food processor).
- Blend the mixture for 1 minute, or until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into popsicle moulds and insert popsicle sticks into each mould.
- Freeze for 6 hours or until firm.
- Enjoy at will!