The Princess must be going through a growth spurt. It seems she is always hungry and snacks that have previously kept her going for hours no longer fill the corners. I can easily bake more to keep her fed, but I am also gathering an arsenal of snacks that don’t require sugar to supplement the baked goods. These quick spiced seeds fit the bill perfectly.
A handful of toasted seeds are a good snack between meals, and are also handy to pop into lunch boxes for those times when that muffin or sandwich are not quite enough. Despite their size, seeds are a fantastic addition to your diet. They are high in fibre, protein, vitamins and minerals and Omega 3 fatty acids. As a bonus, they also taste good and are great for nut free situations.
The egg white in this recipe helps the spices stick to the seeds and also binds some of the seeds together, resulting in lovely salty, seedy clumps. Egg whites keep for at least a week in the fridge, but they also freeze extremely well. The best way to freeze individual egg whites is in an ice cube tray. Do make sure they are well labelled as egg white in your lemonade is not a great flavour combo. Ask me how I know.
I have used my own homemade spice rub to flavour these, but any spice mix will work just as well. Curry powder would take your snack in an Indian direction, whilst five spice powder will give it that Chinese flair. Cajun spices would also work well.
The seeds will keep for up to a week in an airtight container, and are just as good strewn over a green salad as they are Princess snacks.
Quick Spiced Seeds
- 85 g pumpkin seeds
- 85 g sunflower seeds
- 2 teaspoons Homemade Spice Rub
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- Preheat the oven to 150C (130C fan).
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Combine the seeds, spice mix and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg white until it is foamy.
- Pour the egg white over the seed mix and stir to combine.
- Spread the mix into a single layer on the lined baking tray.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, or until the seeds are lightly browned.
- Allow to cool on the tray before eating.
- Store in an airtight container