Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup
Ever wonder what soup mix was? Or how to use it? Turns out it's the express route to a quick dinner. Throw soup mix into the slow cooker to create this thick and hearty slow cooker vegetable soup.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, extra*
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 1/2 litres (6 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 400 g (14 oz) tin of chopped tomatoes
- 125 g (1 cup) soup mix
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 large handfuls chopped spinach or silverbeet
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt & pepper
Turn the slow cooker to low to allow it to warm whilst gathering your ingredients.
Saute the onion in olive oil in a small fry pan until lightly browned.
Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
Place the browned onion and garlic into the slow cooker.
Add the stock, carrot, celery, chopped tomatoes, soup mix, and oregano to the slow cooker.
Season well with salt & pepper. Stir thoroughly
Cook for 8 hours on low.
Stir the chopped spinach or silverbeet, and the parsley, through the soup.
Allow to stand for five minutes before serving.
- *The olive oil is only used if you are frying your onions and garlic. Omit it from the recipe if adding the onions directly to the slow cooker.
- A ratio of 1 cup soup mix: 6 cups stock will produce a thick, hearty soup. Add less soup mix if you want a thinner soup.
- If short on time, skip browning the onions and garlic.
- All the ingredients can be prepared the night before, and just placed in the slow cooker in the morning.
- The soup will thicken on standing. Simply add a little extra water or stock when reheating to thin the soup.
- Freeze leftovers in meal sized portions.
Calories: 239kcal | Carbohydrates: 29.9g | Protein: 12.8g | Fat: 8.1g | Cholesterol: 7.6mg | Sodium: 469.4mg | Sugar: 8.9g | Vitamin A: 1100IU | Vitamin C: 20.6mg