Crustless Zucchini Quiche
This healthy crustless zucchini quiche recipe is quick to make, and is a good way to use up an abundant zucchini crop. Great served hot or cold, the quiche is ideal for either lunch or dinner.
- 150 g (1 cup) Self Raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 slices bacon finely chopped
- 425 g (3 cups) grated zucchini
- 95 g (1 cup) grated Cheddar cheese
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
- 5 large eggs lightly beaten
- Salt & pepper
- Extra flour for dusting the quiche dish
Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan forced).
Grease a 20cm pie or quiche dish.
Dust the greased dish with flour and set aside.
Mix the flour, mustard powder, and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl. Set aside.
Heat a small fry pan over a medium-low heat.
Fry the onion in 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil for five minutes, or until slightly browned.
Add the bacon to the fry pan, and cook for a further five minutes, or until the bacon begins to brown.
Place the cooked onion and bacon in a large bowl.
Add the zucchini, grated cheese, olive oil and eggs.
Stir together thoroughly.
Add the flour mixture and mix until the flour is just incorporated.
Tip the batter into the floured quiche dish.
Bake for 30 - 40 minutes, or until the quiche is well risen and lightly browned.
Allow to rest at least 5 minutes before serving.
- It is not necessary to brown the onions and bacon before assembling the quiche. This is purely my personal preference.
- The quiche can be assembled without cooking the bacon and onion, which will reduce the preparation time.
- Thinly sliced tomato can be laid on top of the quiche prior to baking to improve the presentation of the cooked quiche.
- Scatter extra grated cheese over the top before baking if desired.
- Cooked crustless quiche can be stored in the fridge for up to three days.
- The cooked quiche can be frozen for up to four months.
- If serving cold, remove from the fridge at least 30 minutes prior to serving.
Calories: 692kcal | Carbohydrates: 36.3g | Protein: 21.5g | Fat: 52.3g | Cholesterol: 269.9mg | Sodium: 840.3mg | Sugar: 4.9g | Vitamin A: 650IU | Vitamin C: 30.5mg