Creamy Cauliflower Cheese Soup
Cheesy and creamy, this super easy cauliflower soup recipe is ideal for a cold winter's night. All you need add is a loaf of crusty bread to finish of the meal.
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large leek sliced
- 1 kg (4 cups) cauliflower, roughly chopped approx 1 large head
- 1 large potato peeled and cubed
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 500 ml (2 cups) milk preferably full fat
- 2 bay leaves
- 200 g (1 3/4 cups) cheddar cheese grated, or other full flavoured
- 2 Tablespoons wholegrain mustard optional
- Salt & pepper
Melt the butter in a large pot over a low heat.
Add the leek and saute for 5 minutes, or until softened.
Add the cauliflower, potato, chicken stock, milk and bay leaves to the pot.
Season everything well with salt and pepper.
Bring to the soup to the boil. Take care here if you are using a small pot, as the added milk can cause the pot to boil over.
Reduce the heat to low, and cover the pot with a lid.
Simmer the soup for 30 minutes, or until the potato and cauliflower are cooked through and are soft.
Remove the pot from the heat.
Remove the bay leaves from the soup. Do not skip this step or you will end up with tough bits of bay leaf through your soup.
Blitz the soup until smooth. I use a hand held blender to do this.
Return the pot to a low heat and stir in the grated cheddar, (and mustard if using).
Heat for about one minute, stirring constantly, until the cheese is melted.
Serve with crusty bread and butter
- Do not forget to remove the bay leaf before blending the soup, or you will end up with tough green bits through your soup. This is a mistake you will only make once.
- The soup will last for up to three days in the fridge, and up to four months in the freezer.
- The soup will look a little grainy and separated when defrosted. Don't panic. It comes together again beautifully as it reheats.
- Stir frequently as you reheat the soup, as the cheese can cause the soup to stick to the bottom and burn.
Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 27.7g | Protein: 17.8g | Fat: 17.3g | Cholesterol: 49.7mg | Sodium: 655.5mg | Sugar: 10.2g | Vitamin A: 550IU | Vitamin C: 75.9mg