Healthy Anzac Biscuits
Whip up a batch of these healthy Anzac biscuits in just 30 minutes. With creamy macadamias, wholemeal flours, and unrefined sugars, these are bound to become the new family favourite.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 12 biscuits
- 95 g (1 cup) rolled oats
- 100 g (3/4 cup) white spelt
- 70 g (1/2 cup) wholemeal spelt
- 80 g (1/2 cup) rapadura sugar
- 80 g (1/2 cup) roasted macadamias finely chopped
- 60 g (3/4 cup) shredded coconut
- pinch salt
- 125 g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) golden syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
- 30 ml (2 Tablespoons) boiling water
Preheat the oven to 170C (150C fan forced).
Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
Place the rolled oats, spelt, chopped macadamias, sugar, coconut and salt in a large bowl and mix together.
Melt the butter and golden syrup in medium saucepan.
Combine the bicarbonate soda and boiling water.
Whilst continuously stirring, pour the bicarbonate soda mixture into the melted butter and golden syrup.
Pour the melted butter mixture into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Take a dessert spoon of mixture, and press it together in your hands until the mixture forms into rough ball.
Place the ball on the lined tray and flatten lightly until the biscuit is approximately 1.5cm thick. Make the biscuit slightly thicker if you want chewy biscuits.
Repeat with the remainder of the mixture.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown.
Cool on a rack, then transfer to an airtight container for storage.
- Don't use a small saucepan to melt the butter and sugar. When you add the baking soda mixture to the melted butter, the mixture starts to foam and rise up. If your saucepan is too small it can overflow.
- You can bake half the batch and freeze the rest for later using my freezing instructions above.
- Store the cooled biscuits in an airtight container for up to one week.
Calories: 412kcal | Carbohydrates: 39.7g | Protein: 5.5g | Fat: 27.1g | Cholesterol: 22.4mg | Sodium: 114.3mg | Sugar: 14.2g | Vitamin A: 250IU