Quinoa, Feta & Grilled Zucchini Salad
Use up that excess zucchini crop in this really simple Quinoa, Feta and Grilled Zucchini Salad. The grilled zucchini adds a delicious smoky element to the salad, and leftovers are great for the lunchbox.
For the Dressing
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt & pepper
For the Salad
- 180 g (1 cup) quinoa uncooked
- 500 g ( 1 lb) zucchini approximately*
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 175 g (1 cup) green peas cooked
- 3 spring onions sliced
- 60 g (1/2 cup) parsley chopped
- 200 g (1 1/3 cup) feta crumbled
Make the Dressing
Place the dressing ingredients into a glass jar.
Shake the jar to emulsify the ingredients.
Taste the dressing. It should taste strongly of lemon juice. This taste will be tempered when it is added to the salad, so add more lemon juice if required.
Adjust the salt & pepper if required, and set the dressing aside.
Prepare the Salad Ingredients
Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions. Set aside to cool.
Pre-heat your BBQ grill plate.*
Slice the zucchini into 5mm (1/4") slices and place in a large bowl.
Drizzle the zucchini lightly with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat well in the olive oil.
Grill the slices for approximately 5 minutes each side, or until the vegetables have softened and dark grill marks are visible on each side.
Assemble the Salad
Tip the quinoa into a large bowl. Add the cooked peas, grilled zucchini, spring onions and parsley.
Toss the ingredients together gently to combine
Pour sufficient dressing over the salad to moisten the quinoa. You may not need all of the dressing, so stir lightly as you drizzle it in.
Scatter the feta over the salad, stir gently again to combine.
Serve immediately, or set aside until required.
- * The zucchini can also be cooked on a grill plate inside, or cut the zucchini into larger chunks and roast them at 180C for about 30 minutes.
- To make this salad vegan, omit the cheese and add additional grilled zucchini.
- Grill the zucchini slices and cook the quinoa in advance, then assemble the salad just before serving.
- Assembled, this zucchini salad will keep well for up to three days in the fridge.
- Salad leftovers make a delicious lunch the next day, and the zucchini salad also travels well in lunchboxes.
Calories: 553kcal | Carbohydrates: 39.9g | Protein: 16.9g | Fat: 37.5g | Cholesterol: 44.5mg | Sodium: 478.1mg | Sugar: 7.4g | Vitamin A: 700IU | Vitamin C: 68.5mg