Crispy Tamari Almonds: Roasted or Dehydrated
Homemade crispy tamari almonds are the perfect snack when you are craving something that is slightly salty, but still good for you.
I have provided instructions for both the dehydrator and the oven roasted method so choose the one that works for you.
Prep Time2 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Dehydrating Time12 hrs
Total Time17 mins
- 145 g (1 cup) whole almonds raw or activated
- 2 teaspoons tamari
Place the almonds in a medium bowl.
Sprinkle the tamari over the almonds.
Stir thoroughly to ensure the almonds are coated in the tamari.
Dry the almonds according to your preferred method.
To dehydrate the almonds
Spread the tamari coated almonds in a single layer over the dehydrator sheet(s)
Dehydrate the almonds for approximately 12 hours, or until the almonds are dry and crispy.
Store the tamari almonds in an airtight jar.
To oven roast the almonds
Preheat the oven to 160C (140C fan forced).
Spread the tamari coated almonds in a single layer over a lined baking sheet.
Toast the nuts for approximately 10 - 15 minutes, stirring every 3-5 minutes. Stirring the nuts ensures they remain evenly coated with the tamari and allows them to roast evenly. Do keep an eye on them towards the end of the cooking time though to ensure they do not burn.
Cool the nuts for 10 minutes on the tray.
Transfer the slightly warm almonds to an airtight jar for storage.
- These nuts are only slightly salty. If you want them saltier, either add more tamari when coating the almonds or sprinkle them with sea salt as they come out of the oven.
- The tamari on the almonds attracts moisture, particularly in humid conditions, making them soft and soggy. To avoid this, store them in an airtight container as soon as they have cooled.
- The almonds will be gluten free if your tamari is gluten free.
- Store tamari almonds for up to two weeks in the pantry, and up to six months in the freezer.
Calories: 215kcal | Carbohydrates: 8.8g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 18.1g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 168.3mg | Sugar: 2.1g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg