Easy Creamy Tuna Pasta
Keep a few store cupboard staples on hand, and you can whip up this creamy tuna pasta recipe in a flash. Easy to make, and loved by all family, it is the perfect meal with which to end a busy day.
- 500 g (4 cups) fusilli pasta
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 425 g (15 oz) tuna in olive oil drained
- 2 Tablespoons salted capers rinsed
- 1 lemon juiced
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons parsley chopped
- Salt & pepper
- Cayenne pepper to serve
Bring a large pot of water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
Whilst the pasta is cooking, heat a large fry pan over a medium heat.
Add the olive oil and onion, and cook for about five minutes, or until the onion is golden brown.
Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
Add the drained tuna to the pan, and fry for 1 minute.
Add the rinsed capers and lemon juice to the pan. Cook for a further 2 minutes, or until the lemon juice is reduced to a sticky sauce.
Stir the sour cream and parsley through the tuna, and season with salt and pepper. The sauce will look slightly dry at this stage, which is exactly how it should look.
The pasta should be ready by this stage. Reserve a large cupful of the cooking water, then drain the pasta. If the pasta is not ready, turn the heat off under the tuna sauce until the pasta is ready.
Add the drained pasta to the fry pan, and stir the pasta through the sauce. Add enough of the reserved cooking water to loosen the sauce to your liking.
Serve immediately, sprinkled with cayenne pepper. Or you can do what I do, and take the cayenne pepper to the table so everyone can add their own.
- I use tuna in olive oil for this recipe. I have tried tuna in springwater in this recipe and don't like it as much. Do not use tuna in brine as it will be too salty.
- I always serve the cayenne pepper separately to allow each member of the family to add it to their own desired level of heat. Feel free to add cayenne pepper to the pasta sauce when you add the other seasonings.
Calories: 1192kcal | Carbohydrates: 101.5g | Protein: 104.3g | Fat: 38.6g | Cholesterol: 108.9mg | Sodium: 1398.8mg | Sugar: 8.1g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 22.3mg