Toasted Tamari Seeds Salad Topping Mix
Add a savoury crunch to a simple green salad with this toasted tamari seed salad topping. Quick & easy to whip up, it doubles as the perfect snack.
Servings: 3 /4 cup
- 30 g (1/4 cup) pumpkin seeds
- 30 g (1/4 cup) sunflower seeds
- 40 g (1/4 cup) sesame seeds
- 20 - 40 ml (1 - 2 Tablespoons) Tamari
Place the pumpkins seeds in the base of a medium fry pan.
Tip the sunflower seeds on top.
Finally, add the sesame seeds.
Warm the fry pan over a gentle heat.
Once the fry pan has warmed, stir the seeds.
Allow the seeds to cook for about 3 minutes, stirring often. The seeds will begin to pop and puff up as they cook, which is perfectly normal.
When the seeds are a golden brown, add the tamari to the pan.
Continue to stir until the seeds are dry. Be careful at this stage as the sesame seeds can catch on the bottom of the pan.
Tip the seeds onto a plate or tray and allow to cool. When cool, store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- The seeds can burn in a flash. Frequent stirring should prevent the seeds catching on the pan.
- Store the salad topping in an airtight container or glass jar. The seeds will become sticky if left exposed to air for long periods.
- Store the seed mix in the fridge, although the coated seeds are perfectly fine in the pantry if used within a few weeks.
- The seeds will last for months in the fridge, but are best consumed within two weeks of making them.
- The seed mix can be frozen if preferred.
Serving: 2Tablespoons | Calories: 98kcal | Carbohydrates: 3.2g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 8.5g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 224.6mg | Sugar: 0.2g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg