Layer a few simple ingredients in a glass or jar to make this delicious blueberry lime curd breakfast parfait. Perfect for breakfast on the run.
Total Time Investment: 5 Minutes
I don’t remember the family member originally responsible for these breakfast parfaits. I have a feeling that it might have been Mr Grumpy’s suggestion, but I will happily take the credit for it.
Irrespective of who came up with the idea, our whole family loves these parfaits for breakfast, dessert, or even just as a snack between meals. And they are so quick to put together that even The Princess will assemble them if pushed.
These breakfast parfaits are known as an Ogre in our house, which has something to do with Shrek, and onions, and parfait. Sometimes it is best not to leave the room when The Princess and Mr Grumpy are on a roll. Before you know it your food has a name.
On occasion, if The Princess can’t be bothered to assemble a proper breakfast parfait, she will make a deconstructed Ogre (which is known by normal people as breakfast), instead. A deconstructed Ogre is highly technical, involving the placement of all the ingredients into a bowl and tucking in with relish. No layering … just add each ingredient and stir.
So whether you layer it up properly in a glass, or throw the ingredients into a plate a la The Princess, just know that these breakfast parfaits are delicious.
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Ingredient Substitutions for Blueberry Lime Curd Breakfast Parfaits
These breakfast parfaits are ripe for customisation. Play with the ingredients to make it something you love. Try the following:
- Change up the fruit according to what is in season. I have found they are also delicious with mango and strawberries.
- Use coconut yoghurt in place of a dairy yoghurt. The coconut will be delicious paired with the lime curd.
- If you haven’t made any lime curd, you can use a commercial lime curd in its place.
- The lime curd can be replaced with lemon curd, mulberry curd, or any other curd you may have on hand.
- Any toasted muesli/granola can be used in the parfait. Using a gluten free or paleo granola will make the breakfast parfait gluten free.
Tips & Tricks For Delicious Breakfast Parfaits
You don’t need fancy parfait glasses to assemble these breakfast parfaits, although if you happen to have some handy, by all means use them. I layer mine in a cheap IKEA glass, or a mason jar if I need to get out the door in a hurry.
I have provided quantities of ingredients in the recipe below, but I usually just layer the ingredients according to how hungry I am. So I will make a small parfait for dessert and a larger one for breakfast. Don’t be constrained by the recipe; do your own thing.
My breakfast parfaits are best assembled just prior to serving, as the granola will soften with the yoghurt and curd. If this doesn’t bother you, feel free to assemble the parfaits in advance.A delicious #blueberry #lime curd #breakfast #parfait, made with a few simple ingredients, makes the perfect portable breakfast for those days you are on the run. #quick #easy #vegetarian #mealprep #jarfood Click To Tweet
If you really wanted to make a grab and go breakfast, another option would be to layer the fruit, lime curd and yoghurt in the jar, leaving room at the top for that addition of the granola. Package the granola in a separate container, grab both as you rush out the door, and tip the crunchy granola into the top of the jar just prior to eating. Or maybe just make some banana breakfast cookies instead, and keep the parfait for dessert.
Made this recipe? Tell me how it went in the comments below.
And if you loved it, please don’t forget to rate it.
Blueberry Lime Curd Breakfast Parfaits
- 250 g (1 cup) plain yoghurt preferably Greek
- 125 g (3/4 cup) fresh blueberries
- 90 g (2/3 cup) granola/toasted muesli preferably homemade
- 60 g (1/4 cup) lime curd
- Starting with the blueberries, layer the fruit, granola and yoghurt in a glass.
- Spread the lime curd over the yoghurt layer.
- Repeat the layers of blueberries, granola and yoghurt.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the granola over the top of the parfait.
- Serve immediately.